- Yesterday, North Carolina Republicans led the effort to pass SB 37 which safely reopens North Carolina’s public schools to provide every student with the option of in-person learning.
- This legislation includes guidelines from NC DHHS and actually accomplishes Governor Cooper’s purported goal of getting kids back into the classroom safely.
- Republicans in the North Carolina General Assembly took decisive action to pass SB37 with bipartisan support to safely reopen North Carolina schools.
- Many Democrats, including US Senate Candidate Cal Jr., followed Governor Cooper’s lead in putting liberal special interest groups first and North Carolina students last.
- Governor Cooper continues to erroneously claim that reopening schools is his “top priority” while failing to take decisive action to actually get kids safely back into the classroom.
- At one of his many public relations stunts, Cooper floated the idea of bonuses to make up for the raises that he vetoed in 2019.
- Cooper continues to proclaim that North Carolina students should return to school now but refuses to take the necessary steps to make that happen.
- Republicans secure enough Democrat support to override Cooper’s veto in both chambers.
- The question is whether or not Cooper will sign legislation that accomplishes his goal or will he twist arms behind closed doors to keep schools closed?