Due to the Corona virus crisis, resulting in the National Emergency declared by President Trump, the State of Emergency declared by NC Governor Cooper, and advice from the NC State GOP and 11th District Chairs, the Executive Committee of the Buncombe County Republican Party County Convention has canceled the County Convention previously announced for March 21 2020, at AB Tech. However, since the only official purpose of the Convention was to adopt the BCGOP Plan of Organization and to elect delegates to the 11th District and State GOP Conventions new “Convention Rules” for the election of these delegates have been adopted, in accordance with a Directive issued by State GOP Chairman Michael Whatley on March 12, 2020. Following the recommendations of that Directive, the new Convention Rules adopted for selection of delegates will be as follows:
1. We are hereby notifying our GOP voters there will be NO “physical” Buncombe County GOP Convention this year.
2. Delegates will be selected by mail or email i.e.: If you wish to be considered as a delegate to the 11th District and/or State GOP convention (name as listed with the Board of Elections –no nicknames) as a potential delegate for one or both Conventions (indicate which Convention by one of the following methods):
- Send an email to Buncombe County GOP to Loretta Reynolds, Secretary at email@example.com.
- Send a postcard or brief letter via US Mail to: Buncombe County GOP, PO Box 9834, Asheville, NC 28815; or,
- Drop-off a card or written note at the Buncombe County GOP Headquarters at 18G Regent Park Blvd., Asheville, NC 28806. (Please call 828-253-5800 first to make sure the office is open. Usual business hours are 12 noon to 5:30 pm Monday through Friday. Due to the corona virus hours may change!)
Again, we need your full name, your mailing and physical address, your email address, and your phone number.
Whether you want to be a delegate for the District Convention?
Whether you want to be a delegate for the State Convention?
Whether you approve of the NCGOP Plan of Organization? (on the BCGOP WEBSITE: buncombegop.com)
Whether you approve of the BCGOP Plan of Organization? (on the BCGOP WEBSITE: buncombegop.com)
Further, due to reporting deadlines, all nominations must be received by March 26, 2020, to be considered.
4. The Executive Committee will meet as soon as possible after March 26th to consider and vote upon delegates from the names submitted, as our delegate lists must be submitted to the District and State GOP by March 29th. Those selected will be notified via the contact information provided, and/or by follow-up email to the GOP membership.
The Executive Committee regrets that it is not advisable to meet in person, but the current health situation appears to be serious, at least in certain areas, and we have received reports that many of our members (a number of which are in the “higher risk” category) had indicated a reluctance to attend in light of the Corona virus fears.
Hopefully, we will be able to hold our normal meetings once again in the near future, but we will keep you updated as best we can.
Jerry Green, Chair
Buncombe County GOP